Orange and Date Baklava
- 1/3 cup sugar Add to list
- 3 tablespoons water Add to list
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice Add to list
- 1 tablespoon honey Add to list
- 1 teaspoon orange flower water Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract Add to list
- 3 cups whole pitted dates Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sugar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon Add to list
- 1/4 cup orange juice Add to list
Stir first 3 ingredients in small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves, increase heat; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. Mix in honey, orange flower water and almond extract.
Combine first 4 ingredients in processor. Using on/off turns, process until dates are minced. Add juice; process until course paste forms.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix sugar and cinnamon. Stack phyllo on work surface. Using bottom of 8x8x2-inch pan as guide, cut out two 8-inch square stacks, making 24 squares. Butter inside of same pan. Place phyllo squares in pan. Brush with butter; sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon sugar. Repeat layering of phyllo squares (2 at a time), butter and sugar 4 more times (a total of 10 phyllo squares). Spread half of filling over. Top with 2 phyllo squares. Brush with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Repeat with 2 more squares, butter and sugar. Spread with remaining filling. Layer 10 squares (2 at a time) over filling, brushing with butter and sprinkling with sugar.
Using a knife, score top into 16 squares (do not cut through to filling). Bake baklava until deep golden, about 30 minutes. Cut through scored lines to bottom of pan. Spoon cool syrup over hot baklava. Cool. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover. Let stand at room temperature.)
Source: PCC Natural Markets Taste of Nations 1999 Cookbook
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »