Obama's Favorite Hawaiian Salad
- 2 pounds fingerling potatoes Add to list
- 1/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice Add to list
- 1 pound (16 ounces) elbow macaroni Add to list
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped Add to list
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped Add to list
- 2 large carrots, one shredded, one grated Add to list
- 1 lemon Add to list
- 1 cup mayonnaise Add to list
- 4 tablespoons sweet pickle relish Add to list
- 1 teaspoon paprika Add to list
- Salt and pepper (to taste) Add to list
Boil the potatoes in a deep pot of water with the pineapple juice until a fork can slide into the potatoes without the potatoes falling apart. Drain the potatoes and allow them to cool, then peel off the skins.
Cook the elbow macaroni until al dente, drain and rinse with cold water.
Cut the cooled potatoes into bite-size chunks. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over them.
Place the macaroni and all the veggies, including the potatoes, in a bowl, and dump in the mayonnaise. Add sweet pickle relish, salt and pepper, and paprika. Mix together, without pulverizing the macaroni or potatoes. Chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
Serve with Hawaiian-style barbeque and 2 scoops of rice, or over a bed of arugula.
Recipe by, culinary historian