Oats ‘n' Barley Pie Crust
Yield: Makes bottom crust for one 9-inch pie.
- 1 1/2 cups thick-cut rolled oats Add to list
- 1/2 cup whole barley flour Add to list
- 1/4 cup ice water Add to list
- 1/4 cup unrefined sesame or high-oleic safflower oil (or unsalted butter, melted and cooled first) Add to list
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or malted rice syrup) Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt Add to list
Process oats in blender or processor to a coarse flour. Combine with oil or butter, sweetener and salt. Add flour and blend with fork to make soft dough.
Press with fingers into pie pan and bake for 20 minutes at 325° F, cool and fill with cooked custard or fruit filling of your choice. Or bake 10 minutes, cool and use for the pumpkin pie recipe of your choice.
Source: PCC Natural Markets