New England Cod Cakes
Serves: 4 to 6
A classic preparation that uses mashed potatoes as the filler, these flaky, mild cod cakes have delicious crispy edges.
- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil, divided Add to list
- 3 ribs celery, diced Add to list
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds Add to list
- 3/4 pound potatoes, cooked and mashed Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley Add to list
- 2 tablespoons stone ground mustard Add to list
- Juice and zest from 1 lemon Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 1/2 pounds cod fillets, cooked and flaked Add to list
- Panko bread crumbs, for coating Add to list
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter Add to list
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook celery, shallots and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in celery seeds and cook 1 minute more. Let mixture cool.
In a large bowl, combine celery mixture, potatoes, parsley, mustard, lemon juice and zest, salt and pepper. Fold in flaked cod, being careful not to over mix. Form into eight 1/2-inch-thick patties and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Roll chilled cod cakes in bread crumbs, lightly pressing so that they stick to the cakes. Heat remaining oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the cakes until golden brown on each side, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
You can substitute many kinds of cooked white fish for the cod in this recipe.
Each cod cake: 270 cal, 9g fat (2.5g sat), 50mg chol, 450mg sodium, 23g carb, 3g fiber, 25g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef