All-natural Egg Dyes
Using old spices in your pantry and other items you may have lying around your kitchen, you can make natural egg dyes that are free of artificial ingredients and chemicals.
- Yellow/Gold: Boil 3 tablespoons cumin or turmeric Add to list
- Yellow: Steep 2 to 3 green tea or chamomile tea bags in hot water Add to list
- Orange: Boil paprika Add to list
- Red: Boil red onion skins Add to list
- Lavender: Steep hibiscus tea bags in hot water Add to list
- Blue: Boil 4 cups chopped red cabbage Add to list
- Rusty brown: Boil chili powder Add to list
- Brown: Boil old coffee grounds or use old coffee as a dye Add to list
- Light Brown: Boil dill seeds Add to list
Simply add the ingredient to boiling water and cook until you get the color you’re after. It’s important to note the eggs will be a lighter color than what’s in the pot. This isn’t an exact science, so add more ingredients or more water as you see fit.
Strain the ingredient (if necessary) and add 1 tablespoon vinegar to the dye. Allow the dye to cool a bit before dyeing the eggs. The longer you soak the eggs, the darker the color. Experiment and have fun!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »