A comforting bowl of vegetarian mushroom stew that's perfect for a cold evening any time of year.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced Add to list
- 3 ribs celery, diced Add to list
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced Add to list
- 1/4 pound portobello mushrooms, sliced Add to list
- 1/4 pound crimini mushrooms, sliced Add to list
- 1/4 pound white button mushrooms, sliced Add to list
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme Add to list
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano Add to list
- 1 bay leaf Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- 1/2 cup red wine Add to list
- 8 ounces Pacific mushroom broth Add to list
- 1 cup water Add to list
- 2 cups tomato sauce Add to list
- 3/4 pound russet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes Add to list
- 1/4 cup parsley Add to list
- 1 cup frozen peas Add to list
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, celery, carrots and all the mushrooms and sauté for 3 minutes or until mushrooms give up their liquid. Add thyme, oregano, bay leaf, garlic, salt and pepper. Deglaze pan with wine. Bring mixture to a boil, and then add the broth, water and tomato sauce. Return to a boil.
Add potatoes and lower heat; simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, until potatoes are soft. Add frozen peas during last five minutes. Garnish with chopped parsley.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »