A comforting bowl of vegetarian mushroom stew that's perfect for a cold evening any time of year.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced Add to list
- 3 ribs celery, diced Add to list
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced Add to list
- 1/4 pound portobello mushrooms, sliced Add to list
- 1/4 pound crimini mushrooms, sliced Add to list
- 1/4 pound white button mushrooms, sliced Add to list
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme Add to list
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano Add to list
- 1 bay leaf Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- 1/2 cup red wine Add to list
- 8 ounces Pacific mushroom broth Add to list
- 1 cup water Add to list
- 2 cups tomato sauce Add to list
- 3/4 pound russet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes Add to list
- 1/4 cup parsley Add to list
- 1 cup frozen peas Add to list
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, celery, carrots and all the mushrooms and sauté for 3 minutes or until mushrooms give up their liquid. Add thyme, oregano, bay leaf, garlic, salt and pepper. Deglaze pan with wine. Bring mixture to a boil, and then add the broth, water and tomato sauce. Return to a boil.
Add potatoes and lower heat; simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, until potatoes are soft. Add frozen peas during last five minutes. Garnish with chopped parsley.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!