- 1 pound mixed mushrooms (sliced crimini and chanterelle) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil Add to list
- 1/2 cup minced shallots Add to list
- 1 garlic clove Add to list
- 1 sprig of thyme Add to list
- 1/2 cup white wine Add to list
- 8 ounces heavy cream Add to list
- 1/2 tablespoon arrowroot powder Add to list
- 1/4 cup cold water Add to list
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 ounce unsalted butter Add to list
Sauté mushrooms in oil over medium-high heat until they start to brown; add shallots, garlic clove, thyme and sauté for 2 minutes. Add white wine and reduce until it is almost completely evaporated and then add heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Mix arrowroot in cold water and add to sauce. Simmer and stir until thickened. Remove thyme sprig and garlic clove; then season with salt and white pepper. Stir in cube of butter and serve.
The arrowroot method can be omitted if you reduce the cream over medium-high heat until desired thickness is reached. The arrowroot method works well for larger batches.
Recipe by, Executive Chef for 2009 PCC fall member meeting