This is a rich and delicious accompaniment to Chef Ken Charney's Roasted Tofu with Herbs. Prepare the ingredients for this side dish while your tofu is roasting.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil Add to list
- 1 small onion, diced medium Add to list
- About 1/2 pound mixed fresh mushrooms (chanterelle, crimini, portabello), thinly sliced Add to list
- 5 to 6 dried mushrooms, soaked in 1 cup hot water, water reserved Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced Add to list
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme Add to list
- 1 teaspoon red miso Add to list
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste Add to list
- 1 tablespoon unbleached flour Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- Splash balsamic vinegar Add to list
Over medium heat, sauté onion in oil until lightly browned. Add fresh and soaked, drained dried mushrooms and garlic, and continue to cook until mushrooms have softened. Add thyme and cook for a few seconds.
Add reserved mushroom liquid to the pan. Bring to a light boil. Season with salt and pepper; stir in miso and tomato paste. Reduce heat and stir in flour.
Continue to cook until ragout is thickened. Add more salt and pepper, if necessary. Add balsamic vinegar.
Serve with Roasted Tofu with Herbs.
Recipe by, former PCC staff