Serves: 6 to 8
- 3/4 pound whole spelt flour Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil Add to list
- 6 ounces Earth Balance margarine Add to list
- 6 tablespoons cold water Add to list
- 1 pound firm tofu Add to list
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar Add to list
- 2 teaspoons mellow white miso Add to list
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced Add to list
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1/4 cup Marsala wine Add to list
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- 8 ounces shallots, sliced Add to list
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon Add to list
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh thyme Add to list
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a quiche pan with Earth Balance margarine. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the Earth Balance margarine and lightly work the fat and flour together. Add the cold water, lightly kneading together into the shape of a ball. Let the dough sit for a couple of minutes.
Between two sheets of waxed paper, roll the dough into a circle until it's big enough to cover the pan. Trim the edges and pinch some holes in the dough with a fork. Freeze the shell until hard and then put it into the oven. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
In a food processor combine tofu, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, miso, garlic and salt. Process until creamy.
Sauté the mushrooms in olive oil over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add the Marsala wine and black pepper and sauté for another 5 minutes. Sauté the shallots over medium heat until translucent. Chop the fresh herbs.
Mix everything together and transfer the filling into the cold shell. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes. Serve with a nice green salad.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks Instructor
Source: Sound Consumer March 2003
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »