PCC Mushroom Gravy
Serves: 8 to 10
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 5 cups vegetable broth Add to list
- 1 1/2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms, sliced Add to list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced Add to list
- 7 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon dried sage Add to list
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme Add to list
- 2 teaspoons ground rosemary Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine Add to list
- 5 teaspoons tamari Add to list
- 1/3 cup unbleached wheat flour Add to list
In a sauce pan set over medium heat, warm vegetable broth with dried porcini mushrooms until mushrooms are soft, about 10 minutes. Puree in blender.
Add the olive oil to a sauté pan and place over medium heat. Sauté onions and crimini mushrooms until soft, about 8 minutes. Add sage, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
Pour all but 1 cup hot broth into onion/mushroom mixture. Add sherry and tamari.
Stir together 1 cup reserved broth with flour until it’s a smooth paste. Whisk into mushroom mixture and stir to thicken, 2-4 minutes. Puree in blender.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!