PCC Mushroom Gravy
Serves: 8 to 10
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 5 cups vegetable broth Add to list
- 1 1/2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms, sliced Add to list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced Add to list
- 7 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon dried sage Add to list
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme Add to list
- 2 teaspoons ground rosemary Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine Add to list
- 5 teaspoons tamari Add to list
- 1/3 cup unbleached wheat flour Add to list
In a sauce pan set over medium heat, warm vegetable broth with dried porcini mushrooms until mushrooms are soft, about 10 minutes. Puree in a blender.
Add oil to a sauté pan and place over medium heat. Sauté onions and crimini mushrooms until soft, about 8 minutes. Add sage, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
Pour all but 1 cup hot broth into onion-mushroom mixture; add sherry and tamari.
Stir together 1 cup reserved broth with flour until it’s a smooth paste. Whisk into mushroom mixture and stir to thicken, 2 to 4 minutes. Puree in a blender.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »