Mseto (Spinach Stew)
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil Add to list
- 3 bundles fresh spinach, washed/dried, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 1 teaspoon curry powder Add to list
- 1 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste Add to list
- 1 cup water Add to list
- 1/4 cup peanut butter Add to list
In a heavy-bottomed pot or large fry pan with lid, sauté onion in oil over medium heat until soft. Add spinach, tomatoes, curry, pepper, and salt. Cover and cook for about five minutes. Add water and stir in peanut butter. Lower heat and cook for another 10 minutes. Serve with steamed couscous.
Note: Use natural, puréed peanut butter; no sugar or salt.
Recipe by, Author of "Authentic African Cooking" and former PCC Cooks instructor