Mousse au Chocolat with Dried Sour Cherry and Port Wine Sauce
Serves: 4 to 6
This is a truly simple yet classic mousse. Customize it to your own taste with the darkest chocolate you love. The sour cherry sauce is the perfect tart addition to this decadent dessert.
- 8 ounces semi sweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 2 tablespoons butter Add to list
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided Add to list
- 1 ounce espresso or strong coffee Add to list
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur Add to list
- 3 egg yolks Add to list
- 1 cup dried sour cherries Add to list
- 1/2 cup port wine Add to list
Gently melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler or in a metal bowl set over, but not in, simmering water. Don't overheat the mixture. Stir in 2 tablespoons cream, espresso and liqueur. Remove from the heat and add egg yolks, one at a time, until well blended.
Whip remaining cream to soft peaks. Stir 1/3 of the whipped cream into the mixture to lighten it. Gently fold in remaining whipped cream to make a light and fluffy mousse.
Spoon or pipe mousse into individual serving dishes and chill for 1 hour to overnight. Serve drizzled with cherry sauce.
Place cherries and port in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and let cherries soak for 10 minutes. Place in a blender and purée until smooth.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show aired on February 21, 2009