Moroccan Whole Spice-crusted Chicken Brochettes
Serves: 4 to 6
Spiced and grilled, these chicken skewers can be served as an appetizer or main dish over polenta or couscous.
- 1/4 cup olive oil Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano Add to list
- 1 small onion, sliced Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed Add to list
- 2 tablespoons honey Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into chunks Add to list
- 1 teaspoon cumin Add to list
- 1 teaspoon coriander Add to list
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed Add to list
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed Add to list
- 2 clove buds Add to list
- 2 allspice berries Add to list
- Bamboo skewers, soaked in water Add to list
Combine oil, oregano, onions, garlic, honey, salt and chicken; let marinate for 2 hours. Remove chicken from the marinade and dry with a clean towel.
Place cumin, coriander, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, cloves and allspice in a mortar, spice grinder or pepper mill; crack or coarsely grind.
Roll chicken in spice mixture and string onto skewers. For appetizer portions, place 2 pieces per skewer. For a main course, string 6 to 8 pieces per skewer.
Grill skewers over hot coals or a gas grill pre-heated to high, for about 10 minutes, occasionally turning, or until the internal temperature is 165° F. (You also may roast the skewers in a 400° F oven for 10 to 12 minutes.)
Serve with polenta or couscous and Honeyed Orange and Fennel Salad.
Recipe by, PCC Chef