Mixed Pea Salad with Pistachios and Mint
Serves: 4 to 8
Bright green peas in so many elegant forms, fresh mint and creamy feta come together in a symphony of textures and flavors that herald the return of the sun! The season for local peas is rather short so try making this salad with green beans as the summer progresses.
- 1 cup snow pea pods, trimmed Add to list
- 1 cup sugar snap pea pods, strings removed Add to list
- 1 cup shelled English peas Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots Add to list
- 1 cup pea shoots or sprouts (optional) Add to list
- 1/2 cup arugula leaves (left whole if small, or chiffonade) Add to list
- 1/4 cup toasted pistachios Add to list
- 2 to 3 tablespoons mint leaves Add to list
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese Add to list
- Vinaigrette Add to list
To prepare salad
Blanch the snow pea pods, sugar snap pea pods and English peas in salted, boiling water until they turn bright green and are just tender-crunchy, about 3 minutes. Refresh in cold water and drain. You may cut the sugar peas in half on a long diagonal if you like, or leave them whole.
In a sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and sauté the shallots until they are just tender. Let cool.
Transfer the peas along with the pea shoots (if you're using them) to a large mixing bowl and toss with the shallots, arugula, pistachios, mint and any of the other fun additions recommended below.
Add enough vinaigrette to coat them well. Serve topped with the feta cheese.
To prepare vinaigrette
Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl.
Other fun additions:
- 1/4 cup crispy cooked bacon or pancetta (if you like, cut into thin strips)
- 1/4 cup chopped basil, tarragon, parsley, chervil, dill or any tender herb you love
- 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
each of 6 servings: 270 cal, 24g fat (5g sat), 10mg chol, 230mg sodium, 10g carb, 2g fiber, 5g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on June 4, 2011.