Provides a beautiful contrast in flavor and color to Creamy Butternut Squash Soup.
- 1 teaspoon red or barley miso Add to list
- 1 teaspoon tamarind concentrate Add to list
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup Add to list
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced or pressed through a garlic press Add to list
- 1 to 2 tablespoons finely minced ginger root Add to list
- Approximately 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable stock or water Add to list
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste concentrate Add to list
While soup is cooking, combine miso, tamarind, maple syrup, garlic, ginger and 1 tablespoon stock in a bowl and stir until smooth.
In saucepan over low flame, heat miso sauce. When it begins to lightly bubble, stir and continue to cook for 30 seconds or so. Add remaining stock. Bring to a boil and stir in tomato paste. When sauce thickens, remove from heat and set aside. When cooled slightly, pour into a "squirtable" plastic container and design your own swirls over individual cups of soup. If you don't have a plastic squeeze bottle, pour from a measuring cup.
Recipe by, former PCC staff