Serves: 4 to 6
Miso and mushrooms add a depth of flavor to this Japanese-style dish.
- 4 tablespoons mirin Add to list
- 3 tablespoons red or brown miso Add to list
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil Add to list
- 1 onion, sliced Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 (2-inch) piece lemongrass, smashed Add to list
- 2 Japanese eggplants, cut into 1-inch cubes Add to list
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped Add to list
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1-inch cubes Add to list
- 1/2 pound mixed mushrooms (shiitake, crimini, porcini, etc.), chopped Add to list
- 4 tomatoes, chopped Add to list
Mix together mirin, miso and soy sauce in a small bowl; set aside
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, lemongrass, eggplant, peppers and zucchini and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add mushrooms and cook an additional 5 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes and miso mixture; mix well. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are softened. Remove lid and cook an additional 10 minutes to thicken sauce.
Each of 6 servings: 140 cal, 3g fat (0g sat), 0mg chol, 540mg sodium, 24g carb, 8g fiber, 6g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef