Mini Black Bean Tamale Pies
Yield: 1 dozen
Perfect for dinner or on-the-go snacks, mini tamale pies are stuffed with protein-packed beans and cheese.
- 1 1/2 cups masa harina (fine corn flour) Add to list
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth Add to list
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon canola oil Add to list
- Pinch of salt Add to list
- 1/2 red onion, diced Add to list
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and diced Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped Add to list
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional) Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- Pinch of ground cinnamon Add to list
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes Add to list
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed Add to list
- 1/2 cup frozen corn Add to list
- 2 tablespoons lime juice Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 cup grated cheddar or Mexican blend cheese Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
Combine masa harina, vegetable broth, 1/3 cup oil and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Mix until well combined; the dough will hold together when squeezed in your hand. Cover and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and bell peppers, cooking until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, chili powder, oregano, cumin and cinnamon; cook until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Fold in tomatoes, black beans, corn and lime juice. Reduce heat to low and cook until sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
Divide masa dough among prepared muffin cups, about 1 rounded tablespoon per cup. Using your fingers, press dough into the bottom and sides of each cup. Evenly divide black bean mixture among masa cups.
Bake until filling is hot and masa dough is cooked, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle each tamale with cheese and bake 5 additional minutes. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before serving.
Each tamale: 130cal, 8g fat (0.5g sat), 0mg chol, 70mg sodium, 15g carb, 2g fiber, 2g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef