Miang Kam (Lettuce-wrapped Tidbits)
Serves: 6 appetizers
An authentic Thai finger food, these tidbits create a great relaxing ritual on hot summer days.
- 1/2 cup water Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste Add to list
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce Add to list
- 1 1/4 cups toasted coconut flakes, divided Add to list
- 1/4 cup sliced shallots Add to list
- 1 (3-inch) piece ginger, smashed Add to list
- 1 cup brown or palm sugar Add to list
- 1 cup roasted peanuts Add to list
- 3 medium shallots, chopped into 1⁄6-inch cubes Add to list
- Fresh ginger, chopped into 1⁄6-inch cubes (20 to 30 cubes) Add to list
- 1 lime, cut into 1/4-inch cubes with skin attached (20 to 30 cubes) Add to list
- 2 Thai chilies, jalapeños or serrano peppers, cut into small pieces (optional) Add to list
- 20 spinach leaves or 10 baby Romaine lettuce leaves, cut in half Add to list
To make Miang Kam Sauce: Combine water, salt, fish sauce, 1/4 cup coconut flakes, sliced shallots, smashed ginger and sugar in small saucepan over medium heat. Boil until the liquid becomes a thick syrup, swishing the pan back and forth if needed for even cooking. Set aside.
Fill 7 small bowls each with remaining coconut, peanuts, shallot cubes, ginger cubes, lime, peppers and sauce. Lay out your choice of leaves on a tray.
Put 1 teaspoon coconut, 2 peanuts, and 1 each cubed shallot, ginger, lime and pepper on each leaf. Drop 1/2 teaspoon of sauce on the leaf and wrap. Enjoy each wrap one bite at a time.
Each serving: 410 cal, 25g fat (12g sat), 0mg chol, 470mg sodium, 43g carb, 6g fiber, 28g sugars, 9g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »