Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
Serves: 4 to 6
With avocado, feta and kalamata olives.
For the salad
- 3/4 cup quinoa Add to list
- 1 1/4 cups water Add to list
- Sea salt, to taste Add to list
- 1 small cucumber, cut in half lengthwise, seeded and sliced, or 1 Persian cucumber, sliced; or 1/2 cup sliced or diced celery (from the inner heart) Add to list
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved (about 12 olives) Add to list
- 1 ripe avocado, diced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon slivered fresh mint leaves Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley Add to list
- 1 1/2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1/3 cup, optional) Add to list
- 6 ounces mixed spring salad greens, baby spinach, arugula or a combination Add to list
For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar Add to list
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard Add to list
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped fine Add to list
- Salt, to taste Add to list
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1/3 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt Add to list
- Freshly ground pepper Add to list
Place the quinoa in a strainer and rinse several times with cold water. Place in a medium saucepan with 1 1/4 cups water and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 15 minutes, until the grains show a thread-like spiral and the water is absorbed. Remove from heat, remove the lid and place a dish towel over the pan, then return the lid to the pan and let sit for 10 minutes or longer undisturbed. Transfer to a salad bowl and fluff with a fork. Allow to cool.
Add the remaining salad ingredients except the salad greens to the bowl.
Whisk together the dressing ingredients. If using yogurt, thin out if desired with 1 tablespoon of water.
Just before serving, toss the lettuces with 3 tablespoons of the dressing. Toss the quinoa mixture with the rest of the dressing. Toss together the greens and quinoa mixture.
You can assemble the salad up to a day ahead but do not toss with the dressing until shortly before serving.
each of 6 servings: 226 cal, 14g fat (3g sat), 7mg chol, 231mg sodium, 20g carb, 5g fiber, 6g protein
Source: Sound Consumer, January 2013
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »