Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
Serves: 4 to 6
A colorful quinoa salad with avocado, feta and Kalamata olives.
- 3/4 cup quinoa Add to list
- 1 1/4 cups water Add to list
- Salt, to taste Add to list
- 1 small cucumber - cut in half lengthwise, seeded and sliced, or 1 Persian cucumber, sliced; or 1/2 cup sliced or diced celery (from the inner heart) Add to list
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved (about 12 olives) Add to list
- 1 ripe avocado, diced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon slivered fresh mint leaves Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley Add to list
- 1 1/2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1/3 cup) (optional) Add to list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sherry or red wine vinegar Add to list
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard Add to list
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped fine Add to list
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1/3 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt Add to list
- Freshly ground pepper Add to list
- 6 ounces mixed spring salad greens, baby spinach, arugula or a combination Add to list
Place quinoa in a strainer and rinse several times with cold water. Place in a saucepan with water and salt, to taste. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until grains show a thread-like spiral and water is absorbed. Remove from the heat, remove the lid and place a dish towel over the pan. Return the lid to the pan and let sit for 10 minutes or longer undisturbed. Transfer to a salad bowl and fluff with a fork. Allow to cool.
Add cucumbers, olives, avocado, mint, parsley and feta to the bowl.
Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt, oil and buttermilk. If using yogurt, thin out if desired with 1 tablespoon of water. Season with pepper.
Just before serving, toss lettuce with 3 tablespoons dressing. Toss quinoa mixture with remaining dressing. Toss together greens and quinoa mixture.
You can assemble the salad up to a day ahead but do not toss with the dressing until shortly before serving.
Each serving: 226 cal, 14g fat (3g sat), 7mg chol, 231mg sodium, 20g carb, 5g fiber, 6g protein