Mediterranean Lentil Salad Bites
This recipe is perfect for busy schedules. The salad can be made in advance and doesn't require any last-minute cooking or heating. French green lentils are perfect for salads such as this because they hold their shape and don't lose their skins.
- 1 cup French green lentils Add to list
- 3 cups water Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 1 bay leaf Add to list
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar Add to list
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice Add to list
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano Add to list
- 1/2 cup minced red onion Add to list
- 1/2 cup seeded, diced roma tomatoes Add to list
- 1/4 cup pitted, thinly sliced Kalamata olives Add to list
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste Add to list
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese Add to list
- 3 heads of Belgian endive or 2 heads radicchio Add to list
Rinse lentils and combine with water, sea salt and bay leaf in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook until soft but not mushy, about 40 to 45 minutes. Drain, rinse under cool water and chill.
Whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic. Set aside.
Combine lentils gently with oregano, onions, tomatoes and olives. Toss gently, but thoroughly with dressing. Cover and refrigerate an hour or more before serving.
Wash and dry endive or radicchio leaves. If using radicchio, tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces that are cupped enough to hold a spoonful of lentils. Fill leaves with lentil salad and sprinkle with cheese and additional oregano, if desired.
Variation: Substitute your favorite bottled vinaigrette.
Recipe by, former PCC staff
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »