Mediterranean Harvest Soup
Serves: 6 to 8
Vary the vegetables in this soup to your taste and what is available. Serve with a healthy scoop of soft polenta on top and a dollop of prepared olive tapenade or fresh Romano cheese.
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic, smashed Add to list
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced Add to list
- 1 eggplant, cut in bite-size pieces Add to list
- 3 to 4 fresh sweet peppers, sliced Add to list
- 2 zucchini, sliced in half moons Add to list
- 1/2 pound potatoes, cut in bite-size pieces Add to list
- Olive oil for coating vegetables Add to list
- Salt to taste Add to list
- 4 ripe tomatoes or a 14-ounce can of whole tomatoes, drained Add to list
- 4 to 6 cups water, vegetable stock or chicken stock Add to list
- 14 ounces (or to your taste) canned, pitted small black olives Add to list
- Bouquet garni* Add to list
Deli-made olive tapenade
Mix garlic, onion, eggplant, peppers, zucchini and potatoes in a large baking pan. Toss lightly with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Roast in a 425º F oven for 15 to 20 minutes. While the vegetables are roasting, stir tomatoes into heated stock. Stir in the roasted vegetables and bouquet garni; simmer 10 to 15 minutes, then add black olives
Serve with a healthy portion of Basic Soft Polenta and a spoonful of prepared olive tapenade.
* A bouquet garni is a collection of herbs and spices wrapped in cheesecloth or a muslin bag that is added to a stock for flavoring, then removed at the end of the cooking time. For this recipe, use parsley stems, a bay leaf, a sprig of thyme, and 5 to 7 cracked peppercorns.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated on September 4, 2008, during PCC Edmonds Grand Opening Days, along with: Basic Soft Polenta
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »