Meatless Autumn Chili
Serves: 4 to 6
Soups and chilis often rely on a variety of spices. Keep your spices fresh and only pay for what you need by buying spices in bulk.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and diced Add to list
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced Add to list
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and diced Add to list
- 4 garlic cloves, minced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (or more to taste) Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 12 ounces of ground beef substitute Add to list
- 1 large zucchini, diced Add to list
- 1 cup fresh corn, cut from the cob (you may substitute frozen) Add to list
- 2 cups salsa verde (green salsa) Add to list
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained Add to list
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sugar Add to list
- Salt and pepper to taste Add to list
- 1/4 cup cilantro Add to list
Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot and sauté the onion, red pepper, jalapeño and garlic for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the chili powder and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Add the beef substitute and remaining ingredients except the cilantro. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, stirring often, for about 20 minutes. Stir in the cilantro.
Serve garnished with grated jack cheese and sour cream if you like!
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: PCC Natural Markets, October 2008