Meatless Autumn Chili
Serves: 4 to 6
Soups and chilis often rely on a variety of spices. Keep your spices fresh and only pay for what you need by buying spices in bulk.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and diced Add to list
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced Add to list
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced Add to list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, or more to taste Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 12 ounces ground beef substitute Add to list
- 1 large zucchini, diced Add to list
- 1 cup fresh corn, cut from the cob (or substitute frozen) Add to list
- 2 cups salsa verde (green salsa) Add to list
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained Add to list
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sugar Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro Add to list
Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Sauté onions, red peppers, jalapeño and garlic for 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in chili powder and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Add beef substitute and remaining ingredients, except cilantro. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, stirring often, for about 20 minutes. Stir in cilantro.
Serve garnished with grated jack cheese and sour cream if you like!
Recipe by, PCC Chef