Matoke (Green Bananas in Coconut Sauce)
The matoke recipe is used during family celebrations. This recipe can include many ingredients depending on what family members bring. You can substitute plantains for green bananas and red yams for the cassava.
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed Add to list
- 1 large onion, chopped Add to list
- 1/4 cup high-heat oil Add to list
- 1 large taro root, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks Add to list
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped Add to list
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, minced Add to list
- 6 firm green bananas or ripe plantains, peeled and diced Add to list
- 1 cassava root or red yam, peeled and cut into small pieces Add to list
- 1 tablespoon curry powder Add to list
- Salt, to taste Add to list
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk Add to list
- 2 cups water Add to list
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish Add to list
Sauté garlic and onions in oil over high heat until soft. Add taro root, tomatoes, jalapeño, bananas, and cassava or yams. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
Add curry powder, salt, coconut milk and water. Simmer for another 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Add cilantro and turn off the heat.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor and author of "Authentic African Cooking"