Matoke (Green Bananas in Coconut Sauce)
The matoke recipe is used during family celebrations. This recipe can include many ingredients depending on what family members bring. You can substitute plantains for green bananas and red yams for the cassava.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil Add to list
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed Add to list
- 1 large onion, chopped Add to list
- 1 large nduma taro (root), peeled, cut into bite-sized chunks Add to list
- 2 large organic tomatoes, chopped Add to list
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced Add to list
- 6 firm green bananas (at PCC or Asian grocery stores) or ripe plantains, peeled and diced Add to list
- 1 cassava root (at PCC or Asian grocery stores) or red yam, peeled and cut into small pieces Add to list
- 1 tablespoon curry powder Add to list
- Salt to taste Add to list
- 1 16-ounce can coconut milk Add to list
- 2 cups water Add to list
- Cilantro, chopped for garnish Add to list
Sauté garlic and onions in oil over high heat until soft. Add all other ingredients, except spices. Cook, stirring for five minutes.
Add curry powder, salt and coconut milk. Add water and simmer for another 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Add cilantro and turn off heat.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor and author of "Authentic African Cooking"