Massaged Kale Salad with Pumpkin Seeds and Sesame Oil
- 2 bunches kale, stems removed, cut into bite-size pieces Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 2 tablespoons red sauerkraut or quick pickled red cabbage (see note) Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil Add to list
- 1 teaspoon honey Add to list
- 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds Add to list
- Juice of 1 lemon Add to list
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chili oil Add to list
- Pepper to taste Add to list
In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients and massage with your hands until the kale has started to break down and soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
Adjust seasonings according to your taste.
For quick pickled red cabbage: Combine 2 tablespoons red cabbage with 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated on the PCC Cooks stage at Vegfest 2011.