Mashed Root Vegetables
Serves: 6 to 8
This dish is used as a topping in the recipe for Lentil Shepherd's Pie. In general, you can use this root mash as a delicious and nutritious substitute for mashed potatoes. Choose your own combination with your favorite root vegetables following the ratio shown in the recipe.
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes Add to list
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed parsnips and celery root Add to list
- 1/3 cup roasted garlic Add to list
- Pinch of salt Add to list
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup coconut milk, rice milk, regular milk or broth Add to list
- 2 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or butter Add to list
- Salt and pepper to taste Add to list
Peel and chop the potatoes, parsnips and celery root. Boil the potatoes in plenty of water for about 20 minutes or until soft, then drain. Boil the parsnips and celery root in a separate pot for 20 minutes or until soft, then drain.
Mash the potatoes. In a food processor, blend the parsnips, celery root and roasted garlic until creamy.
Mix all of the ingredients together and season with salt and pepper.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: 2010 PCC fall member meeting dinner