Masala Sweet Potato Stew
Serves: 6 to 8
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil Add to list
- 1 medium onion, chopped Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds Add to list
- 1 teaspoon curry powder Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala (find in bulk spices) Add to list
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped Add to list
- 2 medium sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and chopped Add to list
- 1 large stalk of celery, chopped Add to list
- 6 cups water or vegetable broth Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (use 1 teaspoon if using water instead of broth) Add to list
- 1 cup cooked quinoa Add to list
- 1 cup cooked lentils Add to list
- For garnish: lime wedge, dash of cayenne pepper, shredded, unsweetened coconut, and parsley (optional) Add to list
In a saucepan, heat oil on medium. Add onion and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and spices, cook 2 to 3 minutes until quite aromatic. Stir in carrots, sweet potatoes, celery and water or broth. Cover and bring to a boil.
Add salt and lower heat to simmer for about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. If you wish, puree the soup in a blender until creamy or serve as is atop quinoa and lentils.
Garnish with lime wedge, a dash of cayenne, coconut and fresh parsley.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Inspired by Root Soup recipe by Myra Kornfeld in “The Voluptuous Vegan.”
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »