Used in Indian cooking, Masala is a blend of spices ground into a powder or paste. Yukon Gold potatoes are excellent in this recipe. Russet potatoes, with their higher starch content, are better for baking or frying.
Store potatoes in a dark, dry, cool place; do not refrigerate them. They should not be exposed to sunlight; this can cause the development of the toxic alkaloid solanine to form, evidenced by the green color that builds up in the potato.
- Juice of 1 lemon Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt Add to list
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed Add to list
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes (cut in wedges), washed thoroughly with skins left on Add to list
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped Add to list
Preheat oven to 425º F.
In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients except potatoes and cilantro. Toss mixture with potatoes, making sure potatoes are well covered.
Place onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes or until fork-tender. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes, then garnish with cilantro.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Sound Consumer February 2008
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »