- 10 cardamom pods Add to list
- 15 peppercorns Add to list
- 5 whole cloves Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon Add to list
- 5 cups whole milk Add to list
- 5 cups water Add to list
- 8 tea bags (or 8 teaspoons loose black tea) Add to list
- 4 tablespoons sugar (optional) Add to list
Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods and combine with peppercorns and cloves in a mortar and pestle (or spice grinder). Grind into a fine powder and combine with nutmeg and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a large pot, heat milk, water, tea, sugar, and ground spices. Stir well to make sure the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil (watch for signs of milk burning), and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Make sure to continue stirring throughout the cooking process.
Pour chai through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth. Serve in individual cups.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »