Enjoy a warming cup of slightly spiced tea.
- 10 cardamom pods Add to list
- 15 peppercorns Add to list
- 5 whole cloves Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon Add to list
- 5 cups whole milk Add to list
- 5 cups water Add to list
- 8 tea bags (or 8 teaspoons) loose black tea Add to list
- 4 tablespoons sugar (optional) Add to list
Remove seeds from cardamom pods and combine with peppercorns and cloves in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder. Grind into a fine powder and combine with nutmeg and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a large pot, heat milk, water, tea, sugar and ground spices. Stir well to make sure sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil (watch for signs of milk burning), and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Make sure to continue stirring throughout the cooking process.
Pour chai through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth. Serve in individual cups.
80 cal, 4g fat (2.5g sat), 10mg chol, 55mg sodium, 6g carb, 0g fiber, 6g sugars, 4g protein
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor