Marmalade-Almond Stuffed French Toast
- 6 ounces firm tofu, drained and pressed Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract Add to list
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade Add to list
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup Add to list
- 1 tablespoon vanilla soy milk Add to list
- Pinch of salt Add to list
- 4 tablespoons butter Add to list
- 8 egg whites, plus 1 cup vanilla soymilk, mixed in a bowl Add to list
- 8 1-inch thick slices of French or Italian bread Add to list
In a food processor, combine tofu, almond extract, mamalade, maple syrup, 1 tablespoon soy milk and salt. Purée until very smooth, 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down sides once or twice.
Using a sharp paring knife, gently slice a pocket into the side of each piece of bread. Using a pasty bag, squeeze approximately 1 tablespoon of tofu mixture into each pocket. If you don't have a pastry bag, use a small spoon. Smooth with the back of a spoon.
In a large sauté pan, melt half the butter over medium heat. Dip bread slices in egg white mixture, coating both sides generously. Arrange 3 or 4 slices in prepared pan, sprinkle with cinnamon, and cook until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes for each side. Repeat with remaining butter and bread. Serve warm with maple syrup. Garnish with fruit or confectioners sugar, if desired.
Recipe by, former PCC staff
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »