Marmalade-Almond Stuffed French Toast
- 6 ounces firm tofu, drained and pressed Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract Add to list
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade Add to list
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup Add to list
- 1 tablespoon vanilla soy milk Add to list
- Pinch of salt Add to list
- 4 tablespoons butter Add to list
- 8 egg whites, plus 1 cup vanilla soymilk, mixed in a bowl Add to list
- 8 1-inch thick slices of French or Italian bread Add to list
In a food processor, combine tofu, almond extract, mamalade, maple syrup, 1 tablespoon soy milk and salt. Purée until very smooth, 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down sides once or twice.
Using a sharp paring knife, gently slice a pocket into the side of each piece of bread. Using a pasty bag, squeeze approximately 1 tablespoon of tofu mixture into each pocket. If you don't have a pastry bag, use a small spoon. Smooth with the back of a spoon.
In a large sauté pan, melt half the butter over medium heat. Dip bread slices in egg white mixture, coating both sides generously. Arrange 3 or 4 slices in prepared pan, sprinkle with cinnamon, and cook until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes for each side. Repeat with remaining butter and bread. Serve warm with maple syrup. Garnish with fruit or confectioners sugar, if desired.
Recipe by, former PCC staff