Maple Butter Cookies
Yield: about 36 cookies
Be sure to use Grade B maple syrup which has a rich, mapley flavor. You'll find it in our bulk section, as well as spices and a fantastic array of other baking ingredients.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature Add to list
- 1 cup granulated sugar Add to list
- 1 large egg yolk Add to list
- 1/2 cup maple syrup Add to list
- 3 cups all-purpose flour Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon of your favorite holiday spice such as ground nutmeg, cinnamon or allspice Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. While still mixing, add egg yolk and slowly drizzle in maple syrup. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, spice and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix until just combined. The dough will be in loose clumps. Gather the dough in a large ball, cover in plastic wrap and chill dough for at least 2 hours until firm.
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Line a few baking sheets with parchment paper. On a floured surface, roll out half the dough to 1/8-inch thickness and cut into desired shapes. Repeat with remaining dough.
Arrange cookies on baking sheets and bake for 8 to 11 minutes, or until lightly golden at the edges. Transfer to racks to cool. Cookies will keep in an airtight container for 1 week.
Each cookie: 120cal, 6g fat (3.5g sat), 20mg chol, 200mg sodium, 17g carb, 0.5g fiber, 1g protein