Mango, Tofu and Herb Salad with Toasted Coconut
I was inspired to come up with this recipe from a dish I had at Malay Satay Hut, a wonderful Malaysian restaurant in the International District of Seattle. It is an exotic recipe to bring to a potluck and everyone will love you for it. Don’t tell them how easy it is to make!
- 2 tablespoons coconut or canola oil Add to list
- 1 pound firm or extra-firm tofu Add to list
- Generous pinch of sea salt Add to list
- 1 cup unsweetened, flaked coconut (some reserved for garnish) Add to list
- 1 mango, peeled and diced Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts Add to list
- 1 cup diced cucumber Add to list
- 1 lime, zested and juiced Add to list
- 1 cup sweet chili sauce Add to list
- Lettuce cups or rice crackers Add to list
Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Drain tofu and pat dry with paper towels. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Add to pan and sauté until brown on all sides, sprinkling with sea salt. Remove and place on a paper towel.
In a small sauté pan over medium heat, toast coconut until lightly brown. In a large bowl, add mango, herbs, peanuts, toasted coconut, cucumbers, lime zest and juice and sweet chili sauce. Toss tofu into bowl and mix everything together well.
Taste and add salt if needed. Serve with lettuce cups or rice crackers.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated at Seattle's Healthy Living Expo April 19, 2008