Mango and Coconut Rice
Sweet and fresh, this rice and mango dish makes a great dessert or breakfast.
- 1 cup short-grain white rice Add to list
- 1 3/4 cups water, divided Add to list
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk, divided Add to list
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar, divided Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 2 ripe mangoes – peeled, pitted and sliced Add to list
- 1/4 cup unsweetened toasted coconut flakes (optional) (see note) Add to list
Place rice in a saucepan and soak in 1 cup water for 30 minutes.
Add remaining 3/4 cup water to rice (do not drain soaking water), 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1 tablespoon sugar and salt. Bring to a gentle boil, while stirring. Cover with a lid, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Turn off the heat. Allow rice to sit, covered, for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine remaining coconut milk and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Gently simmer, stirring, until sugar is dissolved and sauce is warmed through, about 5 minutes.
Divide rice between bowls. Top with mango slices and drizzle with sauce; sprinkle with coconut flakes.
To toast coconut, place flakes in a sauté pan over medium heat. Stir frequently until flakes are mostly golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
Each serving: 320 cal, 13g fat (3g sat),0mg chol, 90mg sodium, 46g carb, 3g fiber, 4g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef