Mango and Coconut Rice
Sweet and fresh, this rice and mango dish makes a great dessert or breakfast.
- 1 cup short-grain white rice Add to list
- 1 3/4 cups water, divided Add to list
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk, divided Add to list
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar, divided Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 2 ripe mangoes – peeled, pitted and sliced Add to list
- 1/4 cup unsweetened toasted coconut flakes (optional) (see note) Add to list
Place rice in a saucepan and soak in 1 cup water for 30 minutes.
Add remaining 3/4 cup water to rice (do not drain soaking water!), 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1 tablespoon sugar and salt. Bring to a gentle boil, while stirring. Cover with a lid, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Turn off the heat. Allow the rice to sit, covered, for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine remaining coconut milk and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Gently simmer, stirring, until sugar is dissolved and sauce is warmed through, about 5 minutes.
Divide rice between bowls. Top with mango slices and drizzle with sauce; sprinkle with coconut flakes.
To toast coconut, place flakes in a sauté pan over medium heat. Stir frequently until flakes are mostly golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
Each serving: 320 cal, 13g fat (3g sat),0mg chol, 90mg sodium, 46g carb, 3g fiber, 4g protein
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »