Mango and Avocado Fresh Rolls
Yield: 6 rolls
These fresh rolls make a great dinner or snack. Let your kids pick their favorite mix of veggies, herbs and proteins.
- 3 tablespoons tamari Add to list
- 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice Add to list
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar Add to list
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar Add to list
- 2 ounces vermicelli rice noodles Add to list
- 6 brown or white rice spring roll wrappers Add to list
- 1 ripe avocado – peeled, pitted and sliced Add to list
- 1 ripe mango – peeled, pitted and sliced Add to list
- 1/4 English cucumber, thinly sliced Add to list
- 1/2 carrot, peeled and shredded Add to list
- 6 ounces cooked prawns or extra-firm tofu, sliced (optional) Add to list
- 12 basil leaves Add to list
- 12 mint leaves Add to list
To make the dipping sauce, whisk together tamari, lime or lemon juice, vinegar and sugar in a small bowl; set aside.
Soak rice noodles in hot water until soft and pliable, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Fill a large dish with warm water. Soak one spring roll wrapper in water until pliable, 5 to 15 seconds. Remove wrapper to a clean, dry surface.
Place some rice noodles, avocado, mango, cucumber, carrot and shrimp or tofu on the lower third of wrapper, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with 2 basil and 2 mint leaves.
Bring the bottom edge of the wrapper up and over the filling and snugly start to roll it up. Tuck in sides, like a burrito, and continue rolling until completely wrapped. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Cover rolls with a moist towel while you finish the rest.
Cut rolls in half on the diagonal and serve with dipping sauce.
Each roll: 220 cal, 6g fat (1g sat),5mg chol, 690mg sodium, 37g carb, 7g fiber, 6g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef