Madrasi Masala Paste
Yield: 8 ounces
Use this paste in the recipe for Salmon Rubbed with Madrasi Masala Paste.
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds Add to list
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds Add to list
- 1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns Add to list
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard seeds Add to list
- 3 tablespoons turmeric Add to list
- 1 teaspoon cayenne Add to list
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt Add to list
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed Add to list
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger Add to list
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar Add to list
Heat a large, heavy-bottomed skillet and dry roast the coriander, cumin, peppercorns and mustard seeds. Stir the seeds continuously until they give off a rich smell. Be careful not to over-brown.
Remove from heat then grind the mixture to a powder. Add turmeric, red chili powder and salt, and mix well. Next add the garlic, ginger and enough vinegar to form a paste.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge (keeps for about 2 weeks).
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »