Mac & Cheese & Cauliflower
Serves: 4 to 6
A family favorite, traditional macaroni and cheese gets an extra veggie boost from a bit of cauliflower.
- 1 pound whole-wheat elbow macaroni Add to list
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets Add to list
- 2 tablespoons butter Add to list
- 1/4 cup flour Add to list
- 2 1/2 cups milk Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese Add to list
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Add cauliflower during the last 3 minutes of cooking time. Drain and set aside.
In a saucepot, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Whisk in cheeses until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Stir reserved macaroni and cauliflower into cheese sauce. Serve immediately.
For a crispy-topped macaroni and cheese, preheat oven to 400° F. Transfer macaroni and cheese to a buttered baking dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
Each serving: 500 cal, 15g fat (8g sat),40mg chol, 470mg sodium, 71g carb, 9g fiber, 27g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef