Mac Chee Pea
Kids naturally love mac and cheese; green peas provide a sweet pop and added nutrients.
- 1 cup macaroni elbows Add to list
- 2 tablespoons butter Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper Add to list
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat pastry flour Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder Add to list
- Pinch of nutmeg Add to list
- 3/4 cup milk Add to list
- 3/4 to 1 cup cheddar cheese Add to list
- 1 cup frozen peas Add to list
In a medium pot of boiling water, cook the pasta for about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Drain the noodles when cooked and set aside.
In another pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the salt, pepper, flour, mustard and nutmeg. Stir constantly until all ingredients are mixed well and form a thick paste.
Add milk and continue stirring until it comes to a boil. Turn heat down to low and add cheese and cooked pasta. Stir until all the pasta is evenly mixed with the cheese sauce. Add frozen peas and cover pot. Turn off heat and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Remove lid and stir pasta and peas. Peas should be a bright green color.
Each serving: 291 cal, 15.4g fat (9.6g sat), 45mg chol, 391mg sodium, 25.4g carb, 3.1g fiber, 12.8g protein
Recipe by, PCC Nutrition Educator