PCC Luscious Layers
Serves: 6 to 8
Prep time: 20 minutes (Baking time: 60 minutes)
This favorite PCC deli dish is easy to make and great for brunch or supper.
- 3 pounds zucchini Add to list
- 1/4 cup olive oil Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese blend (such as Parmesan, provolone, Pecorino Romano) Add to list
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- Fresh thyme to taste, chopped Add to list
- 2 pounds Roma tomatoes, sliced Add to list
- 1/2 cup shredded basil Add to list
- 8 large eggs, slightly beaten Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F. Cut ends of zucchini and slice into 1/4-inch thick strips, using a food processor with a 6-centimeter blade, mandolin or by hand.
Coat a 9” x 13” casserole dish with a little of the olive oil. Layer as follows: zucchini, cheese, salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, then a layer of tomatoes. Drizzle with remainder of the olive oil and sprinkle with basil and cheese. Repeat zucchini layer, repeat tomato layer, and finish with another zucchini and cheese layer. Carefully pour eggs around the edges.
Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes more until eggs are set and cheese begins to brown. Let rest for a few minutes before serving.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Sound Consumer September 2008
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!