Low-Fat Creamy Crucifer Soup (Non-Dairy)
Prep time: 20 to 30 minutes
- 1 large bunch fresh kale, curly or lacinato Add to list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil Add to list
- 1 large onion, peeled, diced (about 1 cup) Add to list
- 1 large garlic clove, minced (add more if desired) Add to list
- 1 turnip, peeled and diced (about 1 cup) Add to list
- 6 cups water Add to list
- 1 pound silken tofu Add to list
- 2 to 3 tablespoons white miso Add to list
- Freshly grated nutmeg (about 1/2 teaspoon, divided) Add to list
- Freshly grated black pepper (about 1/2 teaspoon) Add to list
Clean greens thoroughly in plenty of running water, since folds of curly leaves can hide grit. Dice the stems, including the portion leading up through the leaf, and set aside. If leaves are very broad, slash lengthwise once or twice, then cut crosswise in half-inch widths.
Add the oil to a heavy-bottomed soup pot set over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic for two or three minutes, until softened. Add the stems and leaves of the kale, then the diced turnip, and cover with 6 cups water/
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, just until turnips are softened, and stems and greens are bright green and barely tender.
Open and drain tofu, and break it into four chunks. Place in a bowl of hot water briefly, just to remove the chill, then drain again. Use a ladle and add portions of broth, greens and tofu to a blender or food processor (working in two or three batches as needed), along with 2 tablespoons miso paste.
If desired, leave some greens or turnips less creamed, for texture and appearance. Stir together, taste, and if desired, re-process one cup with a little extra miso.
Grate about 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg, stir in, and garnish with another 1/4 teaspoonful. Add the fresh grated pepper.
Recipe by, former PCC Nutrition Education Manager
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »