Lentil, Tomato & Feta Salad
- 3 cups French lentils Add to list
- Bay leaf Add to list
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley Add to list
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped oregano Add to list
- Red onion, medium, finely chopped Add to list
- 4 diced Roma tomatoes Add to list
- 8 ounces feta cheese (such as Valbreso) Add to list
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste Add to list
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted Add to list
- Mixed greens, if desired Add to list
- Fresh Italian parsley sprigs to garnish Add to list
Pick through the lentils, removing any debris and rinse them well. Place the lentils in a saucepan with fresh, cold water to cover by 1/3 inch. Add the bay leaf, bring to a boil and simmer for about 40 minutes or until tender. Drain, rinse well and chill thoroughly. Discard the bay leaf.
When the lentils are chilled, toss with the olive oil, lemon juice, fresh parsley, oregano, red onion and diced tomatoes. Crumble the feta cheese into small chunks and toss with the lentil mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
Toast the pine nuts in a sauté pan over medium-high heat until lightly browned.
If you like, spread the lentil salad over mixed greens arranged on a serving platter. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and garnish with springs of fresh Italian parsley.
Serve chilled with grilled fish, chicken or pork loin, and a fabulous Zinfandel.
Source: Sound Consumer April 2002