Lentil, Tomato & Feta Salad
This lentil salad is best serve chilled with grilled fish, chicken or pork loin, and a fabulous Zinfandel.
- 3 cups French lentils Add to list
- 1 bay leaf Add to list
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley, plus extra for garnish Add to list
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped oregano Add to list
- 1 red onion, finely chopped Add to list
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced Add to list
- 8 ounces feta cheese Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1/4 cup pine nuts Add to list
- Mixed greens, for serving (optional) Add to list
Pick through lentils, removing any debris, and rinse well. Place lentils in a saucepan with fresh, cold water to cover by 1/3-inch. Add bay leaf, bring to a boil and simmer for about 40 minutes or until tender. Drain, rinse well and chill thoroughly. Discard bay leaf.
When lentils are chilled, toss with oil, lemon juice, parsley, oregano, onions and tomatoes. Crumble feta into small chunks and toss with lentil mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
Toast pine nuts in a sauté pan over medium heat until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
If you like, spread lentil salad over mixed greens arranged on a serving platter. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and garnish with springs of fresh Italian parsley.