PCC Lentil, Quinoa and Roasted Vegetable Salad
Yield: 1 hour
- 6 cups water, divided Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided Add to list
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained Add to list
- 1 cup French lentils, sorted and rinsed Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon Add to list
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes Add to list
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces Add to list
- 1/2 pound summer squash, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes Add to list
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms, cut into 1-inch cubes Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano Add to list
Cook the quinoa
Bring 2 cups of water to a boil over high heat, and dissolve 1/2 teaspoon salt in the hot water. Add quinoa, adjust the heat to medium low, cover the pot, and simmer until water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Fluff with fork and let cool in refrigerator.
Cook the lentils
Bring 4 cups of water to a boil over high heat and dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of salt in the hot water. Add lentils, cumin and cinnamon and cover the pot. Adjust the heat to medium low and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain excess liquid but do not rinse. Cool.
Roast the vegetables
Preheat oven to 400˚ F. Lightly coat peppers, onions, squash and mushrooms with 1 tablespoon oil. Roast for 6 to 8 minutes, until some liquid has been released and vegetables have begun to soften and change color. Let cool.
When the grains and vegetables are cool, toss together with remaining olive oil and oregano. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Any seasonal vegetable may be used to substitute for the peppers, mushroom, onions and summer squash. Aim for a total of 2 pounds of vegetables before any peeling, seeding or chopping.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »