Lentil Ginger Coconut Soup
Yield: about 8 cups
- 1 onion, finely chopped Add to list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped Add to list
- 1 carrot, chopped Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 tablespoons North African Spice Mix Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups lentils Add to list
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk Add to list
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water Add to list
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste Add to list
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice Add to list
- Hot sauce, to taste (optional) Add to list
- 3 tablespoons grated unsweetened coconut Add to list
In a soup pot over medium heat, sauté onions in oil until very soft and lightly browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Add celery, carrots, ginger, salt and pepper. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
Add North African Spice Mix and cook, stirring, for 10 to 20 seconds or until fragrant. Add lentils, coconut milk, stock and tomato paste. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until lentils are soft.
Stir in vinegar, lemon juice and hot sauce. Simmer for another 3 minutes. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Garnish soup with grated coconut.
Recipe by, former PCC staff