A quick weeknight meal, you can use any white fish with this creamy lemon sauce.
- 2 pounds halibut or sole fillets Add to list
- 2 cups fish stock or water Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 3 sprigs thyme Add to list
- 1/4 onion, thinly sliced Add to list
- Salt, to taste Add to list
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour Add to list
- 1/2 cup cold water Add to list
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice Add to list
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten Add to list
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional) Add to list
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley Add to list
Place fish, stock or water, olive oil, thyme, onion and salt in a deep skillet. Bring to a simmer and gently poach fish until cooked through (it will flake easily when pressed with a fork), 8 to 15 minutes depending on the thickness of the fillet.
Carefully remove fish and place on a serving platter. Strain cooking liquid and return to the skillet.
Mix together flour and 1/2 cup cold water in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together lemon juice and eggs. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir until creamy.
Slowly add flour mixture to cooking liquid in the skillet. Simmer over low heat, stirring continuously, until thick, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in lemon zest and parsley; season with additional salt, if needed. Pour sauce over fish and serve immediately.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »