Lemon Coconut Chews
Yield: Makes 24 small cookies
If you like dessert, this recipe uses unrefined sweeteners and healthy fats for just the right touch of sweetness after a meal or with your afternoon tea. For more information on unrefined sweeteners refer to our natural sweeteners brochure.
- 2 cups spelt flour Add to list
- 1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut Add to list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 1/2 cup coconut butter Add to list
- 1/2 cup unbleached, unrefined sugar Add to list
- 1/2 cup maple syrup Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon flavoring Add to list
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Combine flour, coconut, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Melt the coconut butter in a small pan, then combine with sugar, maple syrup and lemon flavoring. Beat well with a wire whisk or a mixer; mixture should be creamy and well integrated.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Form the dough into small, flat rounds and place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake until just browned on the bottom, about 10 minutes.
Source: Sound Consumer February 2009