Lemon Coconut Chews
Yield: Makes 24 small cookies
This recipe has a light touch of sweetness for dessert or with your afternoon tea. For more information on unrefined sweeteners refer to our natural sweeteners brochure.
- 2 cups spelt flour Add to list
- 1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut Add to list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 1/2 cup coconut butter (see note) Add to list
- 1/2 cup unbleached, unrefined sugar Add to list
- 1/2 cup maple syrup Add to list
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest Add to list
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Whisk together flour, coconut, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
Melt the coconut butter in a small pan set over medium heat, then beat in sugar, maple syrup and lemon zest. Using a wire whisk or immersion blender, beat for 1 minute. Blend the wet mixture into the dry ingredients.
Form the dough into small, flat rounds and place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake until just browned on the bottom, about 10 minutes. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before removing from sheet.
Coconut butter is a rich, dense, shelf-stable spread that you can find on our grocery shelves.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Sound Consumer February 2009