Prep time: 25 minutes; baking time: 20 minutes
- 4 large leeks Add to list
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter Add to list
- 2 large onions, chopped Add to list
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell or 6 individual pie shells Add to list
- 1-1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese Add to list
- 3 eggs Add to list
- 1 cup light cream Add to list
- Salt and pepper Add to list
- Pinch of nutmeg Add to list
Preheat the oven to 425┬║ F.
Trim and discard all but 1 inch of green from the leeks. Slice, wash, and drain the rest. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat and cook the leeks with the onions, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Cover the pan and continue to cook until soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
Spread the leeks in the tart shell. Top with the cheese. Beat the eggs in a bowl and whisk in the cream. Season with salt, pepper and the nutmeg. Pour over the leeks and cheese. Bake until the tart has set and is golden brown on top, about 20 minutes. For individual tarts, reduce cooking time by about 7 minutes.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Recipe featured in PCC Cooks kids cooking camps.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »