This tart is creamy and rich, from the slow-cooked leeks and onions.
- 4 large leeks Add to list
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter Add to list
- 2 large onions, chopped Add to list
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell or 6 individual pie shells Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyère cheese Add to list
- 3 eggs Add to list
- 1 cup light cream Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- Pinch of nutmeg Add to list
Preheat oven to 425º F.
Trim and discard all but 1 inch of green from leeks. Slice, wash and dry the remainder.
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook leeks with onions, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Cover the pan and continue to cook until soft, another 10 to 15 minutes.
Spread softened leek-onion mixture in pie shell. Top with grated cheese.
Beat eggs in a bowl and whisk in cream. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour over leeks and cheese.
Bake until filling is set and golden brown on top, about 20 minutes. For individual tarts, reduce cooking time by about 7 minutes.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Recipe featured in PCC Cooks kids cooking camps.