Khoresh-e-Ghormeh Sabzi (Fresh Herb Stew)
This dish celebrates the coming of summer with its fresh herbs. It's a dish special enough to serve honored guests, but also simple enough to be used for any family meal.
- 1 cup chopped spinach Add to list
- 1 cup chopped cilantro Add to list
- 1 cup chopped parsely Add to list
- 1 leek Add to list
- 1 large onion, sliced Add to list
- 1/2 cup oil Add to list
- 2 teaspoons salt, or more to taste Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon Add to list
- 2 carrots, diced Add to list
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms Add to list
- 2 cups water Add to list
- 14-ounce can black-eyed peas Add to list
- Juice of 1 lime Add to list
In a food processor, blend spinach, cilantro, parsley and leek to a fine chop and set aside.
In a medium size pot, sauté the onion for about 5 minutes. Add salt, pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, carrots and mushrooms. Sauté for an additional 2 minutes. Transfer the chopped greens to the pot, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes.
Add water, black-eyed peas and lime juice and simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes.
Serve over your favorite grain. Traditionally, this dish is served over white basmati rice, like any other Persian stew. Serves 4 to 5.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »