Serve this traditional stew of pomegranates, walnuts, onions, and chicken seitan over steamed basmati white rice with saffron.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 large onion, diced Add to list
- 1 package of chicken-style seitan Add to list
- 2 cups ground walnut Add to list
- 1/2 cup pomegranate paste in 3 cups (720mL) of water Add to list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice Add to list
- 1/2 to 1 cup sugar Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground saffron Add to list
- 2 teaspoon salt Add to list
In a food processor, pulse walnuts until finely ground. (Don’t overdo it, or you will have walnut butter.) Set aside.
In a large pot, sauté onions and seitan in oil for about 5 minutes. Add ground walnut and mix well with the onion and seitan. Add the remaining ingredients at this time.
Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and allow to simmer for 1 hour. It’s only during this slow cooking process that the natural oil is released from walnuts, which creates this lustrous creamy sauce. Stir occasionally.
Serve over your favorite grain.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor