Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 cup semolina Add to list
- 1/4 cup butter Add to list
- 4 cups milk Add to list
- 2/3 cup sugar, or to taste Add to list
- 2 to 4 pods green cardamom or 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom Add to list
- 1/3 cup mixture of raisins, slivered almonds and chopped pistachios in any combination (optional) Add to list
- 1 teaspoon rosewater (optional) Add to list
In a broad and deep sautÃ© pan, roast semolina with butter over medium-low heat until it becomes golden brown. Stir constantly to make sure semolina does not burn. When the semolina releases its aroma and the butter starts separating, turn off the heat.
On a separate burner, in a medium saucepan with handles, heat milk, sugar and cardamom. When boiling, turn the semolina burner back on to low heat. Pour the hot milk onto the roasted semolina gently and carefully. Then stir vigorously but carefully to make sure no lumps form. Stir and heat for 5 more minutes to make sure the semolina gets cooked completely and softens up. Turn off the heat.
Add any raisins and nuts, if using. Cool until warm. Add rosewater (if using).
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated by Rachel Duboff on the PCC Cooks stage at Vegfest 2012.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »