Spelt Berries with Roasted Beets, Sautéed Onions and Fresh Sage
- 5 medium beets, peeled Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups spelt berries Add to list
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth Add to list
- Pinch of salt Add to list
- 1 large red onion, cut in half and thinly sliced Add to list
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves Add to list
- Freshly ground black pepper Add to list
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Wash and peel beets and and cut into quarters. Wrap the beets in aluminum foil, place on baking sheet and roast until beets can be easily pierced with a knife, about 30 to 40 minutes. Remove them from the oven and let cool.
Combine spelt berries in a saucepan with the broth and salt. Bring broth to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 1 hour until berries are tender.
Peel, trim and slice onion about 1/4 inch thick. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a small skillet. Add onions and sauté, stirring, for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook, stirring often, for about 15 minutes more. Add chopped sage and cook 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
When beets are cool enough to handle, cut 1/2 inch cubes and put in a serving bowl. Add red onion mixture to beets and stir to combine. Add spelt berries. Mix gently, season with salt & pepper to taste and serve.
Rita Condon adapted this recipe from Mangia, a cookbook by Ricardo Diaz and Nancy Jessup.
Served at the 2007 fall member meeting dinner, along with:
Recipe by, former PCC staff
Source: Mangia, a cookbook by Ricardo Diaz and Nancy Jessup
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »