Yield: about 1 cup pesto
A new twist on basil-based pesto, this flavorful sauce is loaded with kale. In addition to tossing it with pasta, try this nutrition-packed sauce on top of baked potatoes, pizza, chicken and fish or mix into a scramble for green eggs!
- 1 clove garlic Add to list
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts Add to list
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest Add to list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice Add to list
- 5 ounces kale, tough stems removed and leaves chopped (see note) Add to list
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese Add to list
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
Place garlic, walnuts, lemon zest and juice in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until chopped. Add kale and cheese and pulse until fine, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. With the machine running, pour in oil until a fine paste is made. Season with salt and pepper.
Baby kale is great for this recipe — it’s sweet and there is no need to remove the tender stems.
Each serving: 70 cal, 6g fat (1g sat), 0mg chol, 120mg sodium, 1g carb, 0g fiber, 2g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef