Yield: Makes about 1 cup pesto
A new twist on basil-based pesto, this flavorful sauce is loaded with kale. In addition to tossing it with pasta, try this nutrition-packed sauce on top of baked potatoes, pizza, chicken and fish or mix into a scramble for green eggs!
- 1 clove garlic Add to list
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts Add to list
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest Add to list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice Add to list
- 5 ounces kale, tough stems removed and leaves chopped (see note) Add to list
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese Add to list
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
Place garlic, walnuts, lemon zest and juice in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until chopped. Add kale and cheese and pulse until fine, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. With the machine running, pour in the olive oil until a fine paste is made. Season with salt and pepper.
Baby kale is great for this recipe — it’s sweet and there is no need to remove the tender stems.
Each serving: 70 cal, 6g fat (1g sat), 0mg chol, 120mg sodium, 1g carb, 0g fiber, 2g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef