Kale and Quinoa Salad with Lemon-Garlic Dressing
Quinoa, a grain that is high in protein and minerals, is paired with two types of seeds: sesame (tahini) and sunflower. Kale, a great source of vitamins, adds flavor and color. This salad is perfect as a side dish or main course.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained Add to list
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock Add to list
- Pinch of salt Add to list
- 1/4 cup tahini Add to list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey Add to list
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional) Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons Add to list
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 bunch lacinato (dino) kale, tough stems removed and leaves cut into ribbons Add to list
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped Add to list
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds Add to list
- 1/4 cup parsley Add to list
Combine quinoa, stock and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook, without stirring, until all liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to sit, covered, for 10 additional minutes. Fluff grains with a fork.
Combine tahini, olive oil, vinegar, sugar, hot sauce, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Stir in kale; gently mix with a wooden spoon or massage with your hands so that kale breaks down. Add onion, sunflower seeds, parsley and reserved quinoa; mix to combine.